Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Labor Day Fun and Crystal Digging

Hi! I hope you had a fantastic Labor day! We did a little camping, fishing, and hiking….but the highlight of the trip was digging for crystals. Right here in Montana we have a really fun place where you basically get to be like a kid in a sandbox looking for treasures. They don’t plant the crystals so you really have to search them out to find the bigger ones but they but it is truly addicting.

I pulled some information off of the official website just because I thought it was so interesting. “The prospect of finding buried treasure is always just one shovel scoop away here in this public sandbox high in the Pioneer Mountains.  The treasure is the quartz crystals that are scattered liberally through the decomposed granite of the unique 220-acre site that's been reserved by the Forest Service for the popular hobby of rockhounding.

Look at me in all my camping glory lol

These are some of the fun treasures we unearthed….

   

We had a blast. Now I need to figure out a way to add these to a fun project…maybe jewelry?

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That's a lot of crystals! How cool! They look so beautiful. =) And I bet Montana is beautiful. I've never been there, but I've seen some gorgeous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did this a year and a half ago. It was still under snow, but we were troopers/idiots and kept digging. I like how you artfully displayed them!

    ReplyDelete